Waste management is a set of activities that include the following:
- collection, transport, treatment and disposal of waste;
- control, monitoring and regulation of the production, collection, transport, treatment and disposal of waste; and
- prevention of waste production through in-process modification, reuse and recycling.
The term usually relates to all kinds of waste, whether generated during the extraction of raw materials, the processing of raw materials into intermediate and final products, the consumption of final products, or other human activities, including municipal (residential, institutional, commercial), agricultural, and special (health care, household hazardous wastes, sewage sludge). Waste management is intended to reduce the effect of waste on health, the environment or aesthetics.
Issues relating to waste management include:
- Generation of waste
- Waste minimization
- Waste removal
- Waste transportation
- Waste treatment
- Recycling and reuse
- Storage, collection, transport, and transfer
- Landfill disposal
- Environmental considerations
- Financial and marketing aspects
- Policy and regulation
- Education and training
- Planning and implementation.